Sunday, December 6, 2009

Because I just might bust if I don't say something

I love posting about my faith, my ministry, my year as a Deacon, and all things God. But today I must write this or I might just bust.

The New Orleans Saints are amazing!!! I don't know if those of you who stop by and read my blog are sports fans, like football or care about the Saints. But indulge me for one post if you can. I love the New Orleans Saints; although it does resemble a love, hate relationship most of the time. Like many others around here I loved them when they were bad. After all, they are our team. I went to games in old Tulane Stadium with my Uncle Jimmy and was there when Dempsey hit that field goal, a still record 63 yards. I was also there in the Dome when Atlanta hit Big Ben and ruined our season. But none of this matters now.

The New Orleans Saints are 12-0 after this most improbable win in Saints history. They were flat, they were getting pushed around. Heck, some of their points came off a freaking, although skillful, take away of an interception after a punt bounces off the back of a Redskin. Freaky.

Then in the second half, Washington is driving to put the nail in the coffin. Sure enough, a chip shot FG would put it out of reach. And lo and behold, the Skins missed the close in FG attempt. And Drew Brees and company drive the field and hit a long pass and all of a sudden we are tied. And then we get a big defensive stop and we are trying a 57 yard FG to win. That did not happen. Overtime!

But wait, we lost the coin toss. Ouch. But the Skins fumble. The officials don't see it and the Saints coach calls the time out heard round the football world. The time out allowed the replay booth to take a look and sure enough, it's a fumble. Saints are in business in Skins territory. And they drive and set up a winning FG by a kicker that has not been on the active roster all year.

How many more ways will they find to win. After years of watching the Saints find unique ways to loose, now they find a way, or make a way, to win. Excuse me if I'm giddy.

And yes, I do understand, in the big picture, these things are non consequential. But please read my early post about the New Orleans Saints if you need an explanation. In short, in no other community except the New Orleans area, we are defined by this team and how it brings this area together, in good and bad times.

I'll conclude this as I did my FB post: "It's official: I know believe in the tooth fairy, Santa Clause, Easter Bunny, Sasquatch, there are men on Mars, leprechauns, boogey monsters, global warming(well maybe not this one), flying saucers, the Lochness Monster, cherubs that shoot arrows on Valentines Day, jackalopes!!! The Saints are 12-0 and today they are NFC South Champs!

Thanks for letting me blog about our amazing New Orleans Saints!!! Not a Saint fan yet? Come on in, the more the merrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment